How to Sell a House That Needs Major Repairs St. Louis, Missouri
How to sell a house that needs major repairs in St. Louis, MO. Do you have a property in St. Louis that you’re worried is impossible to sell? Does it have mold or flooding damage, or an outdated floor plan or decor? Evervest Home Buyers specializes in giving fair, all-cash offers for houses that need major repairs in the St. Louis, MO area. To date, we’ve helped over 700 homeowners move on from properties they no longer wanted or felt were holding them back. If you have an unwanted house that needs major repairs, call Evervest Home Buyers today at (314) 730-0366 or contact us online.
What it Means to Sell a House That Needs Major Repairs in St. Louis, Missouri
Most prospective home buyers are looking for a place where they can move in and immediately feel like they have a cozy home for their St. Louis, MO family. While some might be open to making light cosmetic repairs themselves, or even like the idea of putting their own spin on a home, a traditional home buyer will usually not want to buy a house with serious damage or that needs major repairs. They’re already spending a hefty sum of money on the down payment and have a mortgage to pay for monthly. The idea of added costs of hiring somebody, or the months it would take to do the repairs themselves, is unappealing.
Common serious damage and major repairs needed in St. Louis, MO include:
- Condemned properties
- Fire or water damage
- Lead or asbestos
- Plumbing issues
- Wind or hail damage
- A foundation that’s starting to crack
- Termite damage
- Holes in the roof or floor
While repainting the walls or adding new carpeting may excite some home buyers, any serious damage will turn them away.
Other issues that can make a home “unsellable” to a traditional buyer include bad odors, limited natural light, bad architecture like low ceilings or a poor floor plan, a home that’s cluttered or unstaged, or even outdated properties that have bad decor like ugly carpets.
Why Do Some St. Louis, MO Homes Need Major Repairs?
Houses, like cars, musical instruments, or our haircuts, can suffer from wear and tear and need to be maintained and have slight damage fixed whenever it appears. When slight fixes aren’t taken care of, such as if the home was vacant for a long time or you inherited the home from a loved one who couldn’t properly take care of it. Those minor nicks and scratches can become serious problems.
If the home was a rental property, maybe you had bad tenants who did serious damage. As we’ve seen recently with flooding in St. Louis, natural disasters can tragically cause damage to a home as well.
Options for Selling a House That Needs Major Repairs in St. Louis, MO
If your St. Louis, MO home needs major repairs, you typically have three options:
- Make the repairs yourself — While most St. Louis, MO homeowners can figure out how to paint walls, major repairs such as asbestos or termite damage need to be handled by professionals in order to do so safely. Even if you’re confident in your abilities, much of what you might make by selling the house fully repaired would be lost in materials, when the price of many commodities such as lumber is still fluctuating.
- Hire someone to repair the house for you — You can hire outside contractors to take care of the major repairs for you, but again that will eat into any profit you’d make by selling the house. A roof replacement can cost anywhere from $5,500 to $11,000, while a full kitchen remodel can cost up to $33,000. Even when improvements are professionally done, the cost vs. value of most repairs does not give a full return on investment.
- Sell your house “as-is” — As-is house buyers do not typically look for turnkey properties. They usually buy houses they can repair themselves and later sell for a higher amount. While the sale itself won’t be as high as if the house was fully repaired, you’ll save tens of thousands of dollars, hundreds of labor hours, and the stress of the traditional market.
With the first two options, you’ll also have to pay for third-party inspectors and appraisers, give a real estate agent their percentage of the sale, and wait months or even years to repair everything and find a buyer.
Why Choose Evervest Home Buyers to Sell Your House As-Is in St. Louis
Our St. Louis cash home buyers are honest, discreet, and non-judgmental. Regardless of the condition your property is in or where it’s located, we can take it off your hands. Our team is made up of a licensed real estate broker and has over 30 years of construction experience. We see ourselves as more than just house flippers. We are home investors that take pride in being part of our St. Louis, MO communities and using our skills to improve them.
We make the home buying process as stress-free as possible with four easy steps:
We conduct our own inspections and do not use an outside realtor, so the only person you’ll be dealing with is the one making the purchase on your home. When we do our inspection, you don’t even have to tidy up before we come over, and you can leave any unwanted objects or faulty appliances when you go.
We can close on your house in as little as 30 days. We are always honest about the value of your home and give fair, all-cash offers. Our goal is to give you as much as we can for your St. Louis, MO property while still seeing it as an investment for ourselves. In our 30 years of experience, we have never written a contract that we didn’t close on due to us backing out of the deal spelled out in the contract.
St. Louis, Missouri As-Is House Buyers | Evervest Home Buyers
When you’re selling a house that needs major repairs, it’s important to find someone trustworthy who won’t try to lowball you and will pay you the full value of your St. Louis property. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau®, and you can read our client testimonials to see how we’ve helped other St. Louis residents move on from an unwanted properties. Call us today at (314) 730-0366 or contact us online so you never have to worry about selling a house with major repairs again.